Friday, September 15, 2017

ANOTHER LOOK: BAD LUCK STREAK IN DANCING SCHOOL



Back in the day there were rumours that Warren Zevon was working on a concerto for strings, and snippets from it appeared on his third Elektra/Asylum album, "Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School."

First gaining success as a songwriter with superstars like Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon struck gold, or rather platinum with Excitable Boy. This was his follow-up, and it gave him a space on the charts again thanks to his remake of The Yardbirds hit "A Certain Girl."

For me, the string interludes do not add to my enjoyment of the album, but there are some killer songs here, including a rewrite (co-write) of a tune Springsteen started but never recorded, "Jeannie Needs a Shooter." I have always wondered what Springsteen's version of this song would've sounded like.

It amazes me that this record is out of print, as it is an essential part of the soundtrack of my life. 

While his first record, while not as commercially successful, is certainly his high water mark, I thought this effort was every bit as good as the second.

I have an extra copy for sale on Amazon if anyone is interested.












No comments:

Post a Comment

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?